Thursday, August 23, 2007

Day 1b

So it started out a good day. I got up with the intention of getting in a workout today. Got to work had me some yogurt and grape nuts. YUM and filling. Bummer I found out that the yogurt I was eating had tons of sugar... Like 28 grams, in a 4 oz cup. A can of soda has like 30 so I am going to have to find a substitute...
For lunch I had a lean cuisine panini, it was great. For snacks I had about 5 - 10 raw almonds. which are awesome.

We then went to the school for bring your minutia of "supplies" and see your desk, join the PTA and get ice-cream. Well I stood for in line for ice cream, everyone that knows me knows that I love ice cream, I had to have one so I settled on a drumstick and it was delicious. Then being the first man of the GOE PTA, I had kid duty again including dinner. Everything I suggested was met with kid anger. I was hungry and they were too. I did the ultimate dad thing, although I typically come up with some pretty creative dinners that make into the Hinze dinner repertoire, I went to McDonald's for some dollar menu items. Out went my good day of eating. A double cheese and a spicy chicken san later...
I did drink about 80 oz of water.

Oh and I did not do any exercising, except for the walk to and from the car at the school. On the way back to the car, Xander decided he was done with his rainbow-pop. So I did what every dad does, finished it. Only I put the rest of it in my mouth. As usual, my eyes were bigger than my mouth and I got a doozy of a brain freeze. You know the kind that make you dizzy and you think you are going to pass out. Too make things even a little better we ran into an former colleague of mine's wife and two kids. There I was trying not to pass out from the brain freeze and talking with a lost acquaintance. I am sure she thought I stopped for happy hour before I showed up at the school.... ah well

3 comments:

Chrisstamom said...

i am so glad i have you. i laugh every day. several times a day! I love you!

Kyle said...

hey man, you're doing fine. You've got the motiviation to do this and that's the first step. There will be days where you *want* things to go just right and it doesn't turn out that way. you just have to expect that'll happen sometimes.

The food journal is a good idea. You might also consider putting your workouts in a journal, too, maybe even the same journal as your food. Set a goal - something like 3 workout days a week for 10 out of 12 weeks. Then mark it in your journal. If you make your goal, give yourself a reward. But give yourself those 2 weeks where things just dont click cause they will happen.

Its also hard to be on a diet when you can't eat what everyone else does. Just be focused and disciplined, but you really do have to eat your own thing apart from what everyone else is having - its the only way. Its tough when there's that many mouths around you eating all that food that looks so good. You can eat it with them, you just have to be smart about it and eat less of it than you normally would. Eat your 'diet food', then have 1 or 2 bites of what everyone else is having. It makes it harder to make dinner since you have to make 2 different meals but after a little while it'll seem 'normal' and things will fall in place for ya.

Keep up the good work!

Margo Clift said...

I just read an article to day that claims that all artificial sweetners will actually make you gain or retain weight.
Sugar can be habit forming, but according to this author, sugar occasionally is a better choice than "diet food" sweetened with artificial sweetner.
His claim also is that MSG is a culprit when it comes to losing weight. And by the way, that ingredient no longer has to be listed as MSG on lables. It may be disguised as "other spices, flavoring enhancement and a few other terms. And is essentially found in most prepared food.
His theory is, whole food (organic) as much as possible.
He is not a vegetarian, but suggests organically grown meat products.
That could possibly eliminate BBQ altogether.
The Author is Kevin Trudeau and his newest book is, Weight Loss Cure. It can be purchased at Costco, Border's and most book stores.
It sounds pretty logical to me, but seems it would be hard to incorporate into a daily routine.
Hungry children can make anyone lose their focus.
But thanks for being an "ultimate" dad.
Sorry about the brain freeze. I hate that.
Love Mom